Magistrate orders obtaining phone records:
CID commences probe 4 years after in the wake of COA hearing:
The Attanagalla Magistrate yesterday issued an order to obtain the telephone records of Attorney –at- Law Senaka Perera and eyewitness Sudesh Nandimal Silva, after they received death threats on Tuesday July 11.
Perera filed a writ petition before the Court of Appeal on April 4th seeking the courts intervention to order authorities to investigate the alleged massacre at the Welikada prison on November 9, 2012.
Speaking to the Daily News Police Spokesperson SP Ruwan Gunasekara said the Nittambuwa Police and the Thissamaharama Police had received complaints regarding the threat.
Lawyer Perera had filed a Police complaint CI 54/187 at the Nittambuwa Police after he received a call threatening him to desist from appearing in the case.
“ I got a call between 7.30 and 7.45 p.m. and was told that my life would be in danger if I appear in this case. They wanted me to stop appearing.”
Perera said his client also received a call from the same number on Tuesday night.
“He is a key witness to the alleged massacre. They had also told him to stop following this” he said. Nandimal Silva was an inmate on the date of the alleged massacre.
Twenty seven people were allegedly routinely killed on the night after the Special Task Force stormed into the Welikada prison premises. The inmates had initially resisted the intervention of the Police who had entered the prisons on the afternoon of November 9.
Thereafter, the STF was deployed and the massacre was said to have happened late in the night.
The Writ Petition filed, said that on the night inmates were “dragged” and shot by officers.
“The petitioner saw Thushara being dragged to the floor and being shot near the gate. The petitioner had personally seen the body of Thushara next morning and the body had gunshot injuries in the neck. At about 6.00 am the petitioner and other prisoners saw Amila Malik Perera alias Konda Amila being taken in hand cuff and subsequently the petitioner got to know that Amila too had been killed” the petition said.
Speaking to the Daily News, Attorney-at-Law Senaka Perera said he suspects the hearing at the Court of Appeal scheduled for July 28, may have been a reason for the threats.
“What we have asked is for the CID to commence investigations because throughout this time they had done nothing.
Then suddenly they wake up and investigations are commenced because of the Writ petition. There has to be some connection between all of this” he said.
The Petition alleged that the STF/TID/ Prison Intelligence and Army were involved in the murders.
Succesive commissions appointed to look into the alleged massacre have not been made public.
When questioned, Minister Justice Wijeydasa Rajapakshe said that action on the reports do not come under his purview.
“You have to ask the Minister of Prisons. It does not come under my purview”.
However, earlier, a second committee headed by retired High Court Judge Nimal Nambuwasam, was appointed by Minister Wijeydasa Rajapakshe on January 22, 2015. They handed over to Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe and Justice Minister Rajapaksa June 9 2015, which is yet to be made public.
Attempts to contact Minister of Prison Refroms D.M. Swaminathan proved futile. However, in July last year Minister Swaminathan said that he was not aware of the incident (riot) and said that it came under the purview of the Justice Minister Rajapakshe.(Daily News)