Two hundred activists from the Eksath Lakwanitha Peramuna were appointed justices of the peace at a function chaired by Deputy Minister Dr. Anoma Gamage at Temple Trees yesterday (16).
Speaking at the occasion, Dr. Gamage said the appointments had been made covering the entire country and based on qualifications.
She urged the appointees to safeguard the dignity of their new position, be exemplary and serve all irrespective of any differences.
The Deputy Minister said that women had made many strides under the Government formed by the UNP and SLFP.
Foremost among them was the fulfilment of the Prime Minister’s promise to ensure 25% female representation at the upcoming local government polls, she said.
Commenting on female entrepreneurship, she said the Government would assist women to launch and develop income generation projects.
She added that action would be taken to appoint 1,000 female lottery agents countrywide in consultation with the chairperson of the National Lotteries Board. (Daily FT)
Latest from Dilani Nanayakkara
- President signs special gazette notification on declaring four forests near Wilpattu North Sanctuary as Conservation forests
- Information Department websites win BESTWEB.LK awards
- Three-match ODI commences at Dambulla today : Selections get curiouser and curiouser
- Govt. seeks Rs.288mn to buy vehicles for ministers
- SLFP lost its status after MS took over leadership: Basil