The Cost of Living Committee is scheduled to meet today and arrive at a decision on whether to increase the prices of milk powder and LPG.
“The Cost of Living Committee is to reach a decision today on increasing the prices of LPG and milk powder,” Finance Ministry Information Director M. Ali Hassen told Daily FT.
According to him, the LPG-importing companies have requested the Government to increase the price of a 12.5 kg LPG cylinder by Rs. 254, while the importers of dairy products have urged to increase the price of 1 kg of milk powder by Rs. 100.
He, however, said that the Government will not increase at the demanded prices by the importers and manufacturers.
The Daily FT learns that the committee will consider increasing the LPG price, as the world market prices have soared notably. Nevertheless, the Consumer Affairs Authority (CAA) has not found the reasons of Rupee devaluation and the grounds that they run at a loss as a good justification by importers of dairy products to increase the price of milk powder.
Hassen said a decision in this regard will be reached during discussions at today’s meeting and if given approval, the price increase will be informed via a gazette notification. (CdeS)
Latest from Dhanushika Niroshani
- This Is the Type of Confidence To Exude If You Want To Be More Successful
- Researchers Find Bright Sides to Some Invasive Species
- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Koffee with Karan 6: Karan Johar to indulge in some ‘crazy banter’ with Aamir Khan
- A brief history of Ariana Grande and Pete Davidson's relationship