Fast Attack Craft attached to the Northern Naval Command and Sir Lanka Coast Guard, whilst on a routine patrol, arrested 49 Indian fishermen and impounded 12 fishing trawlers for trespassing into Sri Lankan territorial waters and engaging in illegal fishing on 7 August and this morning.
Two of the fishing trawlers were impounded in the waters northwest of Delft Island and the rest were taken into custody in the seas north of Kovilan Point.
The fishermen had ventured into Sri Lankan waters and practised illegal bottom trawling which is considered a destructive fishing method.
Having brought the arrested trawlers and fishing gear to the naval base SLNS Elara in Kareinagar and fishermen to SLNS Uththara in Kankesanthurei, they were handed over to the Assistant Fisheries Director in Jaffna for further legal action. (Colombo Gazette)
Latest from Dhanushika Niroshani
- I’m not 48. I’m 25 with 23 years experience
- Facebook's Zuckerberg Comes Under Fire From UK, US Lawmakers
- Prehistoric Giant Shark Tooth Stolen in Australia
- 'Race 3': Salman Khan, Jacqueline Fernandez and the cast reach Abu Dhabi for next
- Tracy Beaker and four other children's book characters who grew up