Fishermen in Pudukottai district, Tamil Nadu announced an indefinite strike from yesterday urging the immediate release of fishermen and their boats by Sri Lanka.
Sri Lankan Navy apprehended 49 fishermen from Tamil Nadu on Tuesday and detained their twelve fishing boats.
Fishermen from Pudukottai Ramanathapuram districts of Tami Nadu were apprehended by Sri Lankan Navy when they were fishing in Lankan waters. Tamil Nadu fishermen say that they should be allowed to fish in traditional waters of Palk Straits.
Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Edapady K Palanisamy in a letter urged Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi to intervene and secure the release of 64 fishermen from Tamil Nadu lodged in Lankan jail and 125 mechanised boats detained by Lanka.
He pointed out that the subsidy scheme to buy long liners for deep sea fishing was launched by the Prime Minister at Rameswaram.
Latest from Dhanushika Niroshani
- I’m not 48. I’m 25 with 23 years experience
- Facebook's Zuckerberg Comes Under Fire From UK, US Lawmakers
- Prehistoric Giant Shark Tooth Stolen in Australia
- 'Race 3': Salman Khan, Jacqueline Fernandez and the cast reach Abu Dhabi for next
- Tracy Beaker and four other children's book characters who grew up