Parliamentarians Namal Rajapaksa, D.V. Chanaka, Prassanna Ranaweera and three others were arrested last evening by the Hambantota Police in connection with the recent protest in the area.
They were remanded till 16 October.
The arrest was made after they were summoned last afternoon by the Hambantota Police to record a statement in connection with the incident this afternoon.
Western Provincial Councillor Upali Kodikara and Southern Provincial Councillors Sampath Athukorala and Major (Rtd.) Ajith Prasanna were among those arrested.
The protest was held last Friday against the planned leasing out of the Mattala International Airport to India.
The Hambantota Magistrate Court had issued a restraining order preventing protests by MP Rajapaksa and D.V. Upul in the vicinity of the Hambantota Port, Indian Consulate and the roads leading to the Hambantota Port.
Latest from Dhanushika Niroshani
- 7 Brain Hacks That Will Dramatically Improve Your Intelligence and Success
- UN Panel Agrees to Move Ahead With Debate on 'Killer Robots'
- Defector’s Condition Indicates Serious Health Issues in North Korea
- ‘Padmavati’: CBFC chief Prasoon Joshi lashes out at Sanjay Leela Bhansali and makers of the film
- David Cassidy: Ex-Partridge Family star suffers organ failure