Parliamentarians Namal Rajapaksa, D.V. Chanaka, Prassanna Ranaweera and three others were arrested last evening by the Hambantota Police in connection with the recent protest in the area.
They were remanded till 16 October.
The arrest was made after they were summoned last afternoon by the Hambantota Police to record a statement in connection with the incident this afternoon.
Western Provincial Councillor Upali Kodikara and Southern Provincial Councillors Sampath Athukorala and Major (Rtd.) Ajith Prasanna were among those arrested.
The protest was held last Friday against the planned leasing out of the Mattala International Airport to India.
The Hambantota Magistrate Court had issued a restraining order preventing protests by MP Rajapaksa and D.V. Upul in the vicinity of the Hambantota Port, Indian Consulate and the roads leading to the Hambantota Port.
Latest from Dhanushika Niroshani
- Michelle Obama’s New Memoir, “Becoming,” Overflows With Wisdom About Relationships, Failure, and Living With Optimism
- Realistic Masks Made in Japan Find Demand from Tech, Car Companies
- Take A Weight Off: 'Grand K' Kilo Being Retired
- Tom Hardy made a CBE by Prince Charles
- Test cricket: Imperative to change the growing home dominance