A total of 11,232 Army deserters including 15 Officers, 9 Officer Cadets and 11,208 Other Rank personnel had reported to their respective Regimental Centers seeking legal discharge during the Amnesty period extended for Army absentees, which ended at midnight 22 November.
The month long Amnesty period was offered to Sri Lanka Army personnel, who are considered as AWOL (Absent Without Leave) to obtain legal discharge, from 23rd October to 22nd November (2017).
The General Amnesty period was scheduled to end on the 15th November but was extended till the 22nd (November) in response to numerous requests made to the Army.
With the end of the General Amnesty, law enforcement authorities will begin island-wide operations to apprehend absconding deserters.
Latest from Dhanushika Niroshani
- This Is the Type of Confidence To Exude If You Want To Be More Successful
- Researchers Find Bright Sides to Some Invasive Species
- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Koffee with Karan 6: Karan Johar to indulge in some ‘crazy banter’ with Aamir Khan
- A brief history of Ariana Grande and Pete Davidson's relationship