Former DIG Vass Gunawardena was sentenced to five years Rigorous Imprisonment (RI) by the Colombo High Court yesterday after being found guilty of threatening former Assistant Superintendent of Police (ASP) Shani Abeysekara.
Abeysekara had been threatened during ongoing investigations into the murder of businessman Mohammed Shiyam in 2013.
Vass Gunawardena was arrested in June 2013 over the murder of the businessman.
Mohammed Shyam, 35, a businessman involved in the footwear industry residing at Sagara Road in Bambalapitiya was killed on 22 May 2013. His body was found in Dompe after he was reported missing. (Colombo Gazette)
Latest from Dhanushika Niroshani
- Want to Create Lifelong Memories of Amazing Experiences? Science Says Stop Doing One Thing
- Google Workers Protest China Plan Secrecy
- Heat Waves, Rains May Become More Severe as Weather Stalls
- Akshay Kumar becomes first Bollywood actor to cross 20 million Instagram followers
- Asia Argento 'accused of sexual assault'