A teenager from a leading school in Colombo, who was arrested for spreading racial hatred on social media, has been remanded.
The 18-year-old has been remanded till 26 March by the Colombo Magistrates’ Court.
The Government placed a temporary ban on access to popular social media websites last week, after social media was used to promote hate among Muslims and Buddhists, resulting in mob attacks on Muslim-owned property in Kandy.Following the ban, the authorities began to monitor social media and initiated action on those accused of spreading hate among communities.
A state of emergency is currently in place, and the state of emergency was used to investigate social media accounts.
The state of emergency was declared after violence broke out in parts of Kandy last week.
Latest from Dhanushika Niroshani
- This Is the Type of Confidence To Exude If You Want To Be More Successful
- Researchers Find Bright Sides to Some Invasive Species
- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Koffee with Karan 6: Karan Johar to indulge in some ‘crazy banter’ with Aamir Khan
- A brief history of Ariana Grande and Pete Davidson's relationship