Sections of the international community (IC) have expressed their opposition to the implementation of the death penalty in Sri Lanka.
the Delegation of the European Union (EU) to Sri Lanka, the Missions of the EU member States in Sri Lanka, and the Diplomatic Missions of the Governments of Canada and Norway in Sri Lanka have made it known, in a letter to President Maithripala Sirisena, that they strongly and unequivocally oppose the capital punishment in all circumstances and in all cases.
“The death penalty is incompatible with human dignity, does not have any proven deterrent effect, and allows judicial errors to become fatal and irreversible,” they pointed out in the letter.
The Diplomatic Missions have requested the President to maintain the moratorium on the implementation of the death penalty and to uphold Sri Lanka’s tradition of opposition to capital punishment.
Latest from Dhanushika Niroshani
- 14 Things To Stop Doing If You Want To Be More Successful
- Can Twitter Change Its 'Core' and Remain Twitter?
- New Generic EpiPen Wins FDA Approval
- Priyanka Chopra and Nick Jonas take their families out ahead of engagement celebration
- Aretha Franklin's A Natural Woman: Why the song still moves us, 50 years on