%AM, %09 %070 %2019 %06:%May

‘21/4’ Copper Factory workers involvement Police SIU probes release of nine suspects

The Police Special Investigation Unit (SIU) has commenced investigations to determine whether any shortcomings had been committed by Police on their part in bail being granted to nine suspects arrested at the Wellampitiya Copper Factory, which is believed to be linked to the Easter Sunday terror attacks, said Police Media Spokesman Superintendent of Police Ruwan Gunasekera.

Mohamed Ibrahim Insaf Ahmed, the suicide bomber responsible for the blast at the Cinnamon Grand hotel in Colombo on 21 April Easter Sunday, is the owner of the Copper factory at Wellampitiya.

On 22 April, nine employees of the factory were arrested by the Wellampitiya Police and remanded until 6 May after being produced before the Colombo Chief Magistrate. When the case was taken up on 6 May, the Court released the nine suspects on bail while it had been widely reported that the suspects were granted bail due to an error or oversight on the part of the officers of the Wellampitiya Police Station.

Gunasekara further said that the Police Headquarters’ SIU has launched an investigation into this situation.

Speaking at a press conference in Colombo yesterday (8), he said that if it is confirmed through the investigation that an error or oversight by a Wellampitiya Police officer had led to this, strict action will be taken against the said officer.

(Ceylon Today)

Read 239 times