BASL Secretary Kaushalya Navaratna told Ceylon Today, that a decision to this effect will be taken once the Executive Committee of the BASL is convened on 20 May.
The media has already reported that the OIC of the Wellampitiya Police, Gamini Hevawithana had lodged a complaint with the Judicial Service Commission charging that Additional Magistrate Liyanage had proceeded to grant bail to the nine suspects having overlooked the objections that were raised by the Police.
However, Navaratna said, he could not officially confirm the developments yet.
But, a senior President’s Counsel had, on the day bail was granted to the suspects had complained in this connection to the Chief Justice, Ceylon Today learns.
Meanwhile, in the wake of the Easter Sunday blasts, Western Province Governor Asath Salley had claimed that he was fully aware that certain local Judges had supported the endeavours of Islamic extremists.
Under such circumstances, when queried as to why the BASL had not taken action against such a serious claim by Salley, the BASL Secretary maintained that they will discuss the topic during their meeting to be held on 20 May.
The Colombo Magistrate’s Court Number Two granted bail to nine out of 10 suspects taken into custody last week.
They had worked at the Copper Factory owned by Insaf Ahamed who blew himself up at the Shangri-La Hotel in Colombo, as part of a series of bombs that exploded in Churches and Hotels across the country on 21 April Easter Sunday.
The Additional Magistrate had claimed that the suspects had been granted bail as the Police had not raised any objections.
Following protests being initiated in this scenario, the Police Department had summoned the OIC of the Wellampitiya Police and three other top Police officers to discuss the issue at length.
It was only later that the OIC had lodged his complaint with the JSC regarding the decision taken by Liyanage to grant bail to the workers arrested from the copper factory.