President Maithripala Sirisena assured that no Samurdhi beneficiary would have their benefits cut or reduced.
“There are several thousands of people qualified to receive Samurdhi benefits but do not receive it. The government will take steps to identify these people and given them the necessary benefits,” the President said.
The President was addressing recipients of land deeds under the government’s national programme to provide 100,000 people with land deeds.
President Sirisena presented land deeds to 4,029 Mahaweli settlers in the Walawa region at the ceremony held at the Embilipitiya new town, Gam Udawa Sports ground yesterday.
The President said that though many individuals carried out several campaigns with the slogan that Samurdhi benefits were being cut, no such thing would happen.
The President further said the government would protect the peoples’ right to land and by the end of this year, he would ensure that 100,000 deeds are given to the people.
President Sirisena also said he would take measures to uplift the farmer’s economy through the introduction of new agricultural programmes.
Latest from Dhanushika Niroshani
- VANDALISM OF THE WORST KIND
- SIX PLAYERS FROM PRESENT SRI LANKA SQUAD IN UAE INCLUDED : THISARA LEADS SRI LANKA IN T20I SERIES AGAINST PAKISTAN
- AS ANOTHER 5-0 WHITEWASH LOOMS : SRI LANKA LOOKING DOWN THE GUN BARREL
- 'Secret Superstar' box-office collection Day 2: Zaira Wasim-Aamir Khan starrer rakes in Rs 9 crore
- Fans Are Worried About Selena Gomez’s Post Surgery Weight Loss