The railway strike will continue until the grievances of the railway locomotive operators are addressed, the Secretary of the Railway Locomotive Engine Drivers' Union, Indika Dodangoda said.
Speaking to Ceylon Today, he added that the meeting with the Secretary to the Ministry of Transport was not fruitful due to the fact that the Secretary did not agree with the proposals of the Union.
"We are experiencing issues with regard to recruiting locomotive engine operative assistants. They have also imposed conditions that are contrary to railway safety rules. There are also elements that contradict public administration circulars. We have made repeated requests to the relevant authorities to make amendments and to address these issues.
However, they have not taken any action in this regard. The Secretary to the Ministry of Transport does not agree with us," he said.
Latest from Dhanushika Niroshani
- I’m not 48. I’m 25 with 23 years experience
- Facebook's Zuckerberg Comes Under Fire From UK, US Lawmakers
- Prehistoric Giant Shark Tooth Stolen in Australia
- 'Race 3': Salman Khan, Jacqueline Fernandez and the cast reach Abu Dhabi for next
- Tracy Beaker and four other children's book characters who grew up