The railway strike will continue until the grievances of the railway locomotive operators are addressed, the Secretary of the Railway Locomotive Engine Drivers' Union, Indika Dodangoda said.
Speaking to Ceylon Today, he added that the meeting with the Secretary to the Ministry of Transport was not fruitful due to the fact that the Secretary did not agree with the proposals of the Union.
"We are experiencing issues with regard to recruiting locomotive engine operative assistants. They have also imposed conditions that are contrary to railway safety rules. There are also elements that contradict public administration circulars. We have made repeated requests to the relevant authorities to make amendments and to address these issues.
However, they have not taken any action in this regard. The Secretary to the Ministry of Transport does not agree with us," he said.
Latest from Dhanushika Niroshani
- This Is the Type of Confidence To Exude If You Want To Be More Successful
- Researchers Find Bright Sides to Some Invasive Species
- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Koffee with Karan 6: Karan Johar to indulge in some ‘crazy banter’ with Aamir Khan
- A brief history of Ariana Grande and Pete Davidson's relationship