The Joint Opposition members yesterday said the Sri Lanka Podujana Peramuna (SLPP) wished to form a new government under a new President and Prime Minister, parliamentarian Bandula Gunawardena said yesterday.
Addressing a press conference organised by the Joint Opposition in Borella, Gunawardena said the Joint Opposition had no intention of grabbing power from the present government.
He said the last Local Government election results had proved that the Government had no mandate to continue with the government.
Gunawardena said they tolerated injustice meted out against them for over three years and they can wait another 500 days to form their own government.
“The President’s official term ends by end 2019 as per the Supreme Court determination on President’s term of service. Gunawardena said the Mahinda Chinthanaya programme aiming at empowering people at grassroot level, will be implemented under a new government led by former President Mahinda Rajapaksa.
Latest from Dhanushika Niroshani
- Want to Create Lifelong Memories of Amazing Experiences? Science Says Stop Doing One Thing
- Google Workers Protest China Plan Secrecy
- Heat Waves, Rains May Become More Severe as Weather Stalls
- Akshay Kumar becomes first Bollywood actor to cross 20 million Instagram followers
- Asia Argento 'accused of sexual assault'