Researchers at the Ambalantota Paddy Research Station has introduced several new paddy strains.
They has named new strains as AT 07695 and AT 06486.
AT-07695, a white samba strain, yields within three and half months and produces about 130 bushels per an acre in the dry zone.
In the wet zone, it produces 110 bushels per an acre. It is highly resistant to pests, insects and diseases, researchers said.
AT-06486, a white samba variety yields in three months and it produces over 130 bushels in the dry zone. In the wet zone, it produces about 115 bushels per an acre.
It is highly resistant to pests, insects and leaf diseases.
The new paddy varieties have gained high popularity among farmers, the researchers said.
Latest from Dhanushika Niroshani
- I’m not 48. I’m 25 with 23 years experience
- Facebook's Zuckerberg Comes Under Fire From UK, US Lawmakers
- Prehistoric Giant Shark Tooth Stolen in Australia
- 'Race 3': Salman Khan, Jacqueline Fernandez and the cast reach Abu Dhabi for next
- Tracy Beaker and four other children's book characters who grew up