Former President and MP Mahinda Rajapaksa today said it was none other than President Maithripala Sirisena who keeps Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe in his post without ousting him.
The former president said this in response to a question asked by a journalist when he was leaving Parliament.
When asked his opinion about President Sirisena seeking Attorney General’s opinion on the legality of removing the Premier, Mr. Rajapaksa said “Why seek AG’s consultations? Shouldn’t forget that the President is the Executive,”
When asked whether it was President Sirisena who continues to protect the Premier, he said “Definitely, who else?”
“We said we will back the SLFP, if it appoints a Prime Minister among them. We won’t back a PM who is a UNPer. It seems the current Prime Minister will continues to function based on the agreement between the UNP and the President,” he said.
Meanwhile, he said the Joint Opposition has asked for the post of the Opposition Leader in Parliament.
“We hope we will be given the place we deserve, the Opposition in Parliament,” he said.
Latest from Dhanushika Niroshani
- I’m not 48. I’m 25 with 23 years experience
- Facebook's Zuckerberg Comes Under Fire From UK, US Lawmakers
- Prehistoric Giant Shark Tooth Stolen in Australia
- 'Race 3': Salman Khan, Jacqueline Fernandez and the cast reach Abu Dhabi for next
- Tracy Beaker and four other children's book characters who grew up