The Telecommunication Regulatory Commission has been summoned by the Human Rights Commission of Sri Lanka over the temporary ban imposed on social media throughout the country last week.
Sports Minister, Dayasiri Jayasekara, speaking at a Foreign Correspondents Association Forum in Colombo said that although according to law, this was considered a human rights violation, the Government had taken the decision in order to curb the spread of false and malicious news as this had triggered the situation to spiral out of control.
“Actually when social media platforms such as Facebook and Whatsapp was blocked for three days, the TRC had to appear before the Human Rights Commission. But state security was important than anything else and we are glad the situation is now returning to normal,” Jayasekara said. (Colombo Gazette)
Latest from Dhanushika Niroshani
- Live in 1 of These 5 Cities? You're Probably Sleeping More (and Stressing Less) Than the Rest of America
- One Giant Sale: Neil Armstrong's Collection Goes to Auction
- Doctors Can Prevent More Amputations With Limb-Saving Surgery
- Hrithik Roshan and Tiger Shroff film will be an action spectacle: Siddharth Anand
- 9 stars who turned down great film roles