The Telecommunication Regulatory Commission has been summoned by the Human Rights Commission of Sri Lanka over the temporary ban imposed on social media throughout the country last week.
Sports Minister, Dayasiri Jayasekara, speaking at a Foreign Correspondents Association Forum in Colombo said that although according to law, this was considered a human rights violation, the Government had taken the decision in order to curb the spread of false and malicious news as this had triggered the situation to spiral out of control.
“Actually when social media platforms such as Facebook and Whatsapp was blocked for three days, the TRC had to appear before the Human Rights Commission. But state security was important than anything else and we are glad the situation is now returning to normal,” Jayasekara said. (Colombo Gazette)
Latest from Dhanushika Niroshani
- This Is the Type of Confidence To Exude If You Want To Be More Successful
- Researchers Find Bright Sides to Some Invasive Species
- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Koffee with Karan 6: Karan Johar to indulge in some ‘crazy banter’ with Aamir Khan
- A brief history of Ariana Grande and Pete Davidson's relationship