The allocation for the renovations of the Parliament building is Rs. 200 million this year and not Rs. 1 billion, the Speaker’s Media Division said in a press release, yesterday.
The press release was in response to several media reports which highlighted that Rs. 1 billion is to be spent this year for the renovation of the Parliament building.
“The 30-year-old Parliament complex is a property of the nation and it needs to be renovated from time to time.
“Foreign delegates often visit Parliament as it is the centre of legislative power. The need for certain repairs could not be overlooked.
“However, reports which said the Government has allocated Rs. 1 billion for the purpose was false.
“The allocation for this year for renovations is Rs. 200 million,” the release clarified.
Latest from Dhanushika Niroshani
- Live in 1 of These 5 Cities? You're Probably Sleeping More (and Stressing Less) Than the Rest of America
- One Giant Sale: Neil Armstrong's Collection Goes to Auction
- Doctors Can Prevent More Amputations With Limb-Saving Surgery
- Hrithik Roshan and Tiger Shroff film will be an action spectacle: Siddharth Anand
- 9 stars who turned down great film roles