The final decision on launching a strike will be made after the emergency General Committee meeting of the Government Medical Officers’ Association (GMOA) on Thursday (19), GMOA Secretary Dr. Haritha Aluthge said.
Addressing a press conference held at the GMOA headquarters in Colombo yesterday, he said that one of the main reasons for the strike is the unfair tax policy implemented by the government. The President should intervene and solve this issue immediately.
According to Dr. Aluthge, the issue has already been brought to the notice of the Health Ministry Secretary and all relevant officials. The Health Ministry is now taxing doctors in an illegal manner using various new rules and regulations. The Health Ministry is taxing the salaries and allowances yet to be paid to doctors. The salaries and allowances were not paid due to the inefficiency of health officials.
One of the main demands presented by the GMOA was imposition of a maximum limit of 12 percent on the tax imposed on doctors and professionals. Establishing a system to maintain the transparency of expenses (using revenue from taxes) of the country is another demand presented, he said.
Latest from Dhanushika Niroshani
- 14 Things To Stop Doing If You Want To Be More Successful
- Can Twitter Change Its 'Core' and Remain Twitter?
- New Generic EpiPen Wins FDA Approval
- Priyanka Chopra and Nick Jonas take their families out ahead of engagement celebration
- Aretha Franklin's A Natural Woman: Why the song still moves us, 50 years on