Deputy Minister Ranjan Ramanayake yesterday told the Supreme Court that he is not pleading guilty to the charge sheet filed against him over Contempt of Court allegations.
When the matter came up before the three-judge-bench headed by Chief Justice Priyasath Dep, a charge sheet comprising several counts were read out to the Deputy Minister by the Supreme Court Registrar.
President’s Counsel M.A.Sumanthiran appearing for the Deputy Minister informed Court that the defence expects to raise objections against the charge sheet.
The matter will be taken up again on September 5. At a previous occasion, all judges of the Supreme Court had determined to proceed with Contempt of Court charges against the Deputy Minister after perusing the transcript of the video footage pertaining to the alleged derogatory statement.
Ven.Magalkande Sudaththa Thera and R.Sunil Perera, a retired Air Force Officer had made complaints to the Supreme Court seeking a contempt of court action against Deputy Minister Ranjan Ramanayake for allegedly making insulting remarks on the reputation of the judiciary and lawyers, on August 21 last year. Counsel Rasika Dissanayake with Sandun Senadhipathi under the instructions of Sanath Wijewardena appeared for the complainants. President’s Counsel M.A.Sumanthiran appeared for Ramanayake. Additional Solicitor General Priyantha Nawana with Senior State Counsel Suharshi Herath Jayaweera appeared for the Attorney General.
Latest from Dhanushika Niroshani
- A Lack of Sleep Triggers Viral Loneliness
- Modi Says India will Send Manned Flight into Space By 2022
- Experts: Hail Damage Worse, but Climate Role Uncertain
- Manikarnika The Queen of Jhansi’s first poster sees a fiery Kangana Ranaut charging at the enemy
- Madonna at 60: The Queen of Pop in seven charts