A tense situation prevailed at the Fort Railway station after several railway Trade Unions staged a sudden strike yesterday evening. Thousands of commuters who were stranded by the trade union action surrounded the Station Master’s office.
Several railway trade unions launched a strike from 3pm yesterday without prior notice against the latest Cabinet decision to suspend the Cabinet paper proposing the rectification of railway workers’ salary anomalies.
Trade unions representing engine drivers, guards, controllers and station masters are engaged in the strike.
Railway services were affected with commuters due to depart home after work. Thousands of commuters were left stranded which resulted in a tense situation since the train services were cancelled without prior notice at the Colombo Fort and Maradana Railway stations.
Latest from Dhanushika Niroshani
- 14 Things To Stop Doing If You Want To Be More Successful
- Can Twitter Change Its 'Core' and Remain Twitter?
- New Generic EpiPen Wins FDA Approval
- Priyanka Chopra and Nick Jonas take their families out ahead of engagement celebration
- Aretha Franklin's A Natural Woman: Why the song still moves us, 50 years on