Speaker Karu Jayasuriya informed Parliament yesterday that he summoned IGP Pujith Jayasundara to his office on Monday and discussed the alleged plot to assassinate the President and former defence Secretary Gotabaya Rajapaksa, for more than one hour.
As the Speaker, he telephoned the IGP, the Law and Order Minister Ranjith Maddumabandara and the Police Commission Chairman as soon as he got to know of the incident.
He said he also had the responsibility to ensure the security of the President and VIPs and added that he had taken necessary action regarding the matter.
He made this statement in parliament when Joint Opposition MPs alleged that the Speaker did not provide them adequate time to discuss this serious matter in the House yesterday.
Latest from Dhanushika Niroshani
- This Is the Type of Confidence To Exude If You Want To Be More Successful
- Researchers Find Bright Sides to Some Invasive Species
- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Koffee with Karan 6: Karan Johar to indulge in some ‘crazy banter’ with Aamir Khan
- A brief history of Ariana Grande and Pete Davidson's relationship