President Maithripala Sirisena said he would take all steps towards building lasting peace and harmony in the country.
He was addressing the gathering at a ceremony to mark the Deepavali festival held at President’s House on November 5.The ceremony was organised on the directions of the President to mark Deepavali celebrated by Hindu devotees throughout the world.
President Sirisena said Deepavali meant the day that social justice and fair play was established. Justice and fair play should be ensured to all citizens, the President said, adding that unity and harmony among communities should be strengthened.
Several cultural items added colour to the event and the President extended his greetings to Hindu devotees present on the occasion.
Prime Minister Mahinda Rajapaksa, Opposition Leader R.Sambandan, Minister Douglas Devananda, Northern Province Governor Reginald Cooray, Deputy Minister Angajan Ramanathan Parliamentarians, members of the diplomatic corps and other invitees were also present.
Latest from Dhanushika Niroshani
- Health Care Was the Number One Issue in the Election: Here’s What That Means for Our Future Well-Being
- FCC Launches First US High-Band 5G Spectrum Auction
- Experts Target Missing Link in Contraception: Men
- 'Too short' Tom Cruise to be replaced for Jack Reacher reboot
- Deepika Padukone and Ranveer Singh tie the knot in Italy